Wednesday, May 19, 2010

My 'Endless Love'

I've recently got my hands on the Glee soundtrack and I've been listening to all my favourite songs on Glee. And this "little" ditty has been playing in my songlist, and now, it's stuck in my head.

THAT brings back some memories of how I learnt to sing Endless Love, and sorry, but I haven't actually found someone who can sing this song with me. Oh wait, there is one: Peter laoshi...but other than him (since he can sing ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING), nope, there is no one to duet this song with.

Like I said, it brings me back to the time I learnt this song. I'll try to be objective about it because err...well, the person whom I sang this with...well, you'll see. I'll TRY okay?

So, that was a few years back I think, when I was still in MS. We had a gig at a wedding, I don't remember where but some posh hotel in Singapore. So the couple wanted 4 couples to sing duets and love songs for their wedding dinner. We had gowns and suits sponsored, and it seemed like a fun thing. So you probably know where I'm getting to now...after a few rounds of going through songs, we chose to sing Endless Love. I sang it with somebody I shall politely refer to as X, and we thought it would not be too tough. (Kidding ourselves, as I see now, in retrospect.)

So, first, we had to learn the song. I'd heard the song a few times before, so I wasn't totally unfamiliar. However, I'd never sung it before, so, I started listening to the version by Lionel Richie and Diana Ross a few times, over and over again. I think I catch on to melodies and harmonies pretty quickly. After the 4th or 5th time, I kinda get the drift. Not Mr X though. He could get the melody, but couldn't get the counter-melodies or harmonies. I had to learn them, and try to "teach" it to him, and still be all nice about it since he had a HUGE ego. Can't TEACH him, no, no...or else it would seem as if I'm trying to be Miss Know-it-all. Fine. I'm not Miss Know-it-all. I'm Miss Know-it-more-than-you. Honestly.

It was SUCH a chore! I couldn't show that I was exasperated cos he was SUPPOSED to be IN the industry and was SUPPOSED to be good in it. Obviously it was all a farce, which most people eventually found out. Some...probably to this day, never will find out. Still under the veil, or under some 'magic potion'. Thank God I've got the antidote. Ah...but I'm drifting off point.

So anyway, eventually we (I) managed to simplify it such that X didn't have to do a lot of counter-melodies or harmonies. We also had to transpose the song by 2 keys cos...err...somebody couldn't reach the notes. Oh by the way, at that time, I said that WE needed to down the key. Well...let's just say...I've tried it a couple of time in original key and it was okay.

So we performed during the wedding, and boy was I relieved to get it out of the way. I think that was probably my most nervous duet performance ever.

And here you go...

No comments: