Sunday, August 28, 2011

R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

Well, well, well...Two elections in a year! This is really big in Singapore standards.

I'm following the results for the Presidential elections now, as we speak (type). My own observation is not gonna be about the candidates per se, but about my pet peeve, the way the media management of live events has been done.

So, since I am in the communications line, I want to say something about running the communications of elections.

If I were a presidential candidate, one of the first job I'll fill is a communications director.

The Comms Director should have a team under him/her. There should be people liaising and building relationships with reporters and people in the major media outlets, one person to each major outlet; a social media team to deal with the online presence - website, blog, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Flickr; an internal media team - photographers, videos, content for any collateral; a logistics team and a spokesperson for the candidate and the family. I say, get the family involved. People are always curious about personal anecdotes.

That said, I'd rather be the Communications Director.

Hire me, in 6 years' time?

No comments: